Billy Lee (ビリー・リー Birī Rī ), originally known in the West by the localized nickname of "Hammer", is one of the two main protagonists of Technōs' Double Dragon series of beat 'em up games. He is the younger twin brother, training partner and in some occasions even rival of Jimmy Lee. He is a master of Sou-Setsu-Ken, a legendary Chinese martial art which he mastered at a young age.
Heir to the Chinese martial art, Sou-Setsu-Ken. Billy Lee began learning Chinese Kenpou from his father at 12 years of age and mastered several martial arts forms during the following eight years until he turned 20, when he inherited the title of "Sou-Setsu-Ken Master" and established the Sou-Setsu-Ken Dojo with his older brother to teach citizens how to defend themselves from the Black Warriors.
At the young age of 20, he and his older twin brother became legendary masters of a Chinese style of Kenpou called Sou-Setsu-Ken. In the first game, Billy saved his girlfriend Marian from the clutches of the Black Warriors, but now, Marian was killed by this gang and Billy is looking to avenge her death. Billy is Player 1 and wears dark blue clothing in the original arcade version and direct ports of the game.
Heir of Sou-Setsu-Ken. He started to learn Chinese Kenpou from his father since he was 12 years old and learned several fighting styles for eight years until he turned 20, when he became the heir to Sou-Setsu-Ken. He recently returned from a training mission and is now facing his biggest challenge yet: to find three Rosetta Stones.
The younger brother of Jimmy Lee. He began his martial arts training at age 12 and became a Kung Fu Sou-Setsu-Ken master at age 20.
- Height: 5′ 10″
- Weight: 165 lbs.
- Color: Blue
- Birth date: 7-28-70- Leo
Double Dragon (animated series)Edit
Billy is separated from his twin brother at birth. His uncle, the Shadow Master, kidnaps Jimmy. Billy is rescued by their father, John, and is placed in the care of John's master, the Oldest Dragon. Eighteen years later, Billy reunites with his brother and makes him see just how evil the Shadow Master really is. Billy is the even-tempered, responsible brother, and often dispenses wisdom to the students of the Dragon Dojo. Jimmy is the bad-tempered, trendy brother, and often dispenses serious code to the students of the dojo.
|“||Firstborn son of the union between the Virginia Lee family and Chinese Lee clan. Billy professes an interest in New Age studies. He can sing and he likes to line dance. Especially proud of his extensive collection of cowboy boots.||„|
|~ Profile description from the Double Dragon V manual|
- Date of birth: 10-23-69
- Height: 6′ 2″
- Weight: 210 lbs.
- Eyes: Blue
- Hair: Black
- Likes: Milk
- Dislikes: Shadow Master
- Origin: Metro City
- Fighting style: Art of the Dragon
A kind hearted, justice-loving young man who grew up learning Chinese and Japanese martial arts from a very young age. With his older brother Jimmy, he created the fighting style "Sou-Setsu-Ken". Sou-Setsu-Ken is a combination of Shaolin Kenpo, T'ai Chi, karate, judo, aikido, etc. Billy runs a martial arts dojo with his brother where he works on developing and mastering the best technique, but a letter from their old instructor brought them back to the city in which they grew up. Upon hearing of Koga Shuko from Marian, Billy makes the decision to destroy his evil organization.
- Personal data
- Voice: Hikaru Midorikawa
- Birthplace: Los Angeles
- Height: 5′ 9″
- Weight: 154 lbs.
- Fighting style: Sousetsuken
- Hobbies: Playing video games, driving cars
The younger of the Lee brothers, Billy is a martial artist with a strong heart and body. He has learned numerous styles of martial arts since he was a child, and with his brother Jimmy, he founded Sōsetsuken at the age of 20. He is usually calm and quiet; only his brother Jimmy is capable of stopping him.
- Height: 175 cm
- Weight: 72 kg
- Fighting style: Sōsetsuken
- Specialties: Kicks and nunchaku
- Hobby: Training
- Martial arts idol: Bruce Lee
Double Dragon (mobile)Edit
|“||A hot-blooded tough guy with a strong sense of justice. Not the sharpest tool in the toolbox, but he never misses a day of training. He's also Marian's sweetheart.||„|
|~ Official description|
- Personal data
- Age: 25
- Height: 178 cm
- Weight: 79 kg
- Hobbies: Training
Other appearances and cameosEdit
A manga about a group of gaming enthusiasts trying to stop an evil organization in their attempt to conquer the world. The Lee brothers, Billy and Jimmy Lee, from Double Dragon fame, are featured as part of the storyline.
Billy and Jimmy are referenced in Technōs' Kunio-kun series by a pair of recurring characters known as the "Dragon Twins", Ryūichi and Ryūji Hattori, with Ryūichi playing the part of Billy. The iconic "Double Dragon" theme even plays whenever they appear.
Billy makes a cameo as a member of the audience.
The NES port of the game features Billy and Jimmy as playable characters.
Artworks and portraitsEdit
- In the original Double Dragon, Billy was featured as a blond guy wearing blue clothes and his twin brother Jimmy had brown hair while wearing red clothes. Later on the series, both characters switched hair colors (with a few exceptions where Billy is seen with blond hair again).
- In Double Dragon Neon, Billy is voiced by Jeff Luke (who also voices Jimmy Lee).
- Billy appears in River City Girls as the owner for Ocean Height's dojo. He is voiced by Dan Avidan.
- In the Double Dragon comic adaptation by Marvel Comics, Billy is occasionally portrayed wearing green clothes rather than his usual blue ones.
- Billy's last name "Lee" comes from Bruce Lee.
- Billy could possibly have been inspired by the character Swan from the 1979 gangs-themed drama film The Warriors; having a calm demeanor, yet won't hesitate to defeat any enemies in front of him. Swan also rescues a girl named Mercy in a similar fashion as Billy saves Marian in The Warriors minigame "Armies of the Night".
- Billy (or at least his first Famicom version and later iterations) may also be inspired by the character Kenshiro from the manga/anime series Hokuto no Ken (1983).
- Further supporting this reference, the cover art for the Famicom port of Double Dragon bears a similar art style than that usually seen in said series.
- In his film counterpart, when Billy is in his transformed state, his gi is capri blue instead of his usual blue.
- In the Neo Geo version, his moves are lightning based even in his transformed state.
- Billy Lewis - A character loosely based on Billy Lee who appears in Rage of the Dragons.
- Jimmy Lee
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Hammer was "Taito's localized name for Billy Lee in the original arcade version of Double Dragon. The name can be seen tattooed on his arm in diverse promotional artworks for the game.
- ↑ In Super Double Dragon, it is stated that the Lee brothers have established their training school, the Sou-Setsu-Ken Dojo, in Los Angeles (although later games establish they have opened several dojos all across the United States). They presumably either were born in China and raised up in the United States, or they are descendants of a Chinese family naturalized in the US.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Only in the animated series and not considered to take part in the established canon.